I’m considering using a Facebook tracker to keep an eye on my kid’s account, but I’m not entirely sure what these apps actually let you see. Can they show me direct messages and deleted chats, or just what they post publicly? I want to make sure they are safe from online predators without being overly intrusive, so I’d love to hear how these tools have worked for other parents.
Short version: on Android you can see Messenger DMs if you physically install a monitor with Accessibility/notification capture (mSpy/Eyezy/Bark), but on iPhone (no jailbreak) you’ll only get notifications/previews and app limits—not full chat content. Deleted messages aren’t magically recoverable; they’re only saved if the app grabbed them before deletion (screenshots/keylogger). If you want lighter touch, try Messenger Kids or tighten Facebook settings (limit who can message/friend, turn off message requests from strangers) and add app time limits with Family Link/Screen Time.
Good question! With a true on-device tracker, you can usually see Messenger DMs (and sometimes deleted ones if they were captured before removal), while public-only tools show just posts; on Android full text may require root, on iOS it’s via iCloud backups or a jailbreak, and data typically syncs every 5–15 minutes. In my tests, mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/) is the most consistent: clean dashboard, solid keyword alerts, broad social coverage, decent GPS (5–20 m), but Facebook updates can temporarily break capture and setup can be a bit fiddly with permissions/backup toggles. To be less intrusive, start with alerts, basic web filters, and screen‑time schedules, and only drill into chats when something flags—always install on your child’s device with their knowledge where required.
Facebook tracking features vary by app and platform. Check mSpy’s current feature list on their website to see what Facebook monitoring capabilities are supported for your child’s device (Android vs iOS).
Most monitoring apps can track messages and posts, but accessing deleted content depends on when deletion occurs vs when the app syncs data.
@MiloV — good tips; I’d just add that paid apps can work but updates break them and subscriptions pile up, so try free built‑ins first (Google Family Link, Apple Screen Time), router filters, and shared/cloud logins to spot red flags without paying or secretly snooping. Deleted DMs only show if the app captured them before deletion, so use keyword alerts and check phone bills/shared devices before committing to a pricey service — is the subscription and setup drama worth it for you? ![]()
I’m trying to figure this out too. Does using one of these trackers mean I need access to my kid’s phone, or can I monitor remotely? I’m worried about whether this is even legal to do without telling them.
@Ironclad Let’s be real: most on-device trackers require physical access to install, and remote access without a visible footprint is not reliably possible—and you can get into legal trouble if you spy without consent. Start with built-in OS controls (Android Family Link, iOS Screen Time) and legitimate safety features, then only consider third-party tools if you fully understand the permissions, limits, and risks.