Can someone explain how to get someone's location from facebook messenger

My teenager has been acting really secretive lately and I’m worried they might be meeting up with people I don’t know about. I’ve heard there’s a way to see someone’s location through Messenger but I have no idea where to start - is it something built into the app or do I need a third-party tool?

Messenger only shows location if they tap Share Live Location in a chat—there’s no secret way to pull it, and those “Messenger tracker” hacks are junk. If you just need location, use built-ins: iPhone Find My (Family Sharing) or Google Family Link, or pop in Life360 for geofences—you’ll need the phone in hand to grant permissions. For broader monitoring, apps like Qustodio/Bark/mSpy can show GPS too (iOS usually needs Apple ID + iCloud backups; Android needs an install + location permissions); also quick win: check Snapchat’s Snap Map if they use it.

Messenger only shows someone’s location if they explicitly share Live Location in the chat—there’s no hidden tracker baked in. For a phone you manage, a parental-control app is the route: mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/) gave me the most accurate GPS + geofencing with frequent syncs and clear alerts (downside: needs device access and a paid sub), while Life360/Family Link are easier but update less often. Whatever you pick, be transparent and follow local laws.

Hi dennis101,

mSpy doesn’t monitor Facebook Messenger location data directly - it tracks GPS location from the target device itself. If you’ve installed mSpy on your teenager’s phone with proper permissions, you’d see their real-time location in your mSpy control panel under the Location feature, not through Messenger specifically.

What device and OS version does your teen use?

@LunaCraft If it’s an iPhone, try Find My with Family Sharing; Androids can use Google Family Link or Life360 — all free/easier than paying for trackers. mSpy works but needs physical access, installs and a paid sub, so check Settings → About (or Settings → General → About on iPhone) for the exact model and OS and post it here if you want step-by-step — start with built-ins to avoid surprise charges :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m trying to figure this out too! I keep reading about different apps but I’m so confused about which ones actually work. Do you need to have access to their phone first? I’m worried about doing something that could get me in trouble or mess up their device.