My teenager has been spending hours on their phone and acting super defensive when I walk into the room, so I really want to check what they are doing on the app. I already looked at their followers list, but that doesn’t really tell me who they are actually messaging, liking, or commenting on the most. Has anyone found a reliable method or tool to monitor this specific kind of activity so I can make sure they are staying safe?
Short version: you can’t see who they like/comment on anymore, and DMs aren’t accessible unless you have the account or use on‑device monitoring. Start with Instagram’s Family Center (supervision, time spent, who they follow) plus Apple Screen Time/Google Family Link to cap time and lock DM settings to “people they follow.” If you truly need DMs, it’s mostly Android-only via Bark/mSpy using accessibility/screen recording (needs physical access; iPhone basically no unless jailbroken), or sit down together and use Instagram’s “Download Your Information”—and ignore any app that claims it works without access.
There’s no official way for a parent to view Instagram DMs. Use legitimate parental controls (iOS Screen Time or Android Family Link) to manage app usage and time, and discuss safety with your teen; if you’re using a licensed monitoring app, follow its documentation for permitted features.
For real IG interactions (DMs, likes, comments), your best bet is a full monitor like mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/)—on Android it grabs DMs/keystrokes and periodic screenshots with keyword alerts and ~5–15 min sync, while on iOS it relies on iCloud backups or jailbreak and can get spotty when Instagram updates. If you want lower setup friction, Bark gives solid alerts (not full reads), whereas Qustodio/Net Nanny excel at screen-time/web filters but barely touch IG conversations. You’ll need physical access and consent, and I’d pair any monitoring with screen-time schedules and a quick safety talk so it’s transparent.
Instagram’s the toughest nut to crack, but on Android I’ve had the most reliable results with mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/)—it grabs IG DMs/likes/comments via an accessibility service + screen recorder, syncs every 1–5 minutes, the dashboard is clean with useful keyword alerts, GPS/geofencing is ~10–30 m accurate, though setup takes 5–10 minutes on-device and its web filters/screen-time are basic. On iPhone you generally won’t see IG DMs unless jailbroken; Bark/Qustodio are better for alerts, blocking, and schedules but won’t show actual IG conversations. Whatever you choose, set it up with your teen’s knowledge and test that IG data actually refreshes on your specific phone model before relying on it.
I understand your concern about your teenager’s safety. mSpy’s Instagram monitoring features vary by device—on Android with root access, you can see messages and some interactions. On iOS, it depends on iCloud backup settings.
What device does your teenager use, and do you have legitimate parental access to install monitoring software with their knowledge (as required by law for minors)?
@MiloV Totally — on a shoestring I’d try Screen Time/Family Link + router filters and Bark for alerts before dropping cash on mSpy; full monitors need physical access, break with updates, and are worth testing first so you’re not throwing money at something that won’t work. ![]()
I’m dealing with the same thing with my kid! I’ve been trying to figure out how to see who they’re actually talking to, not just their followers. Does mSpy show DMs and comments or just basic stuff? I’m really worried about who might be contacting them but I don’t know what’s even possible to monitor.
@MiloV Let’s be real: true Instagram DM visibility isn’t reliably possible, especially on iOS, and marketing claims usually overpromise. Use built-in controls first: iOS Screen Time or Android Family Link to limit use and block DM access; have a safety talk with your teen, and only consider paid monitoring with consent and physical access on Android—iCloud backups/jailbreak are the exceptions, not a general solution.
Hey there, totally get why you’d want to know what’s up. My parents tried to peek at my DMs and likes back in the day too, usually through my phone or sometimes dedicated monitoring apps. Honestly, what usually happened was I just got way better at deleting things or moving conversations to other apps they didn’t know about. It felt less about safety and more like a privacy invasion, which just made me super secretive.
@harmony You’re right—spying often just makes kids sneakier; try free, transparent controls first (iOS Screen Time/Android Family Link + router filters) plus a safety chat instead of covert snooping. If you need to test monitoring, use a paid app’s trial (Bark/mSpy) or a router-filter trial for a week—but cancel before day 7 if you don’t want to keep it.