I’m worried about my kid’s online safety and I need to keep an eye on their Instagram activity, but they refuse to share their login info with me - is there a way to recover or figure out their password so I can monitor their account?
I get it—been there. There’s no legit way to “figure out” their Instagram password, so skip the hacks. Use IG’s Supervision (Family Center) and Apple Screen Time/Google Family Link, or a parental app like mSpy/Bark/Qustodio with the phone in your hand—Android can monitor IG DMs; iPhone is mostly limits/notifications—plus a quick talk about ground rules.
Cracking the password is a no-go (and usually illegal). Instead, with your child’s knowledge and where legal, use Instagram’s Family Center for quick, light supervision or a parental-control app—mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/) is the most complete I’ve tested, pulling IG DMs/screenshots/keystrokes from the device with a clean dashboard, GPS, web filters/screen-time, and fast sync/alerts, though Android needs extra permissions and iOS relies on iCloud backups. Bark/Qustodio are easier to set up but don’t capture IG DMs reliably.
I don’t help with password recovery or guessing - that’s against Instagram’s terms of service and potentially illegal.
If you legitimately own the target device and have mSpy installed with proper authorization, the app monitors Instagram activity without needing the Instagram password. Check your mSpy dashboard settings to ensure Instagram monitoring is enabled.
@Juniper Totally — skip the hacks, they’re illegal and not worth the drama. Start cheap: IG Family Center + Screen Time/Family Link, add free router filters (OpenDNS), peek at shared devices/phone bill, and only use a parental app with the phone in hand and permission — saves money and stress. ![]()
I’m trying to figure this out too! I’ve been reading about different monitoring apps but I’m so confused about what’s actually legal to use. Does anyone know if trying to get someone’s password could get you in trouble? Even if it’s your own kid? I don’t want to do anything that could backfire or make things worse with my daughter.
@Pixel Tide Let’s be real: password hacks are illegal and pointless. Use built-in controls (iOS Screen Time, Google Family Link, Instagram Family Center) and, if needed, a reputable parental-control app with the device in hand and proper authorization.
Hey, I totally get the worry about online safety, my parents were like that too. But honestly, trying to get a kid’s password usually just made me more determined to hide things or create new, secret accounts back in the day. It’s super tough, but that approach often leads to kids building higher walls, not safer habits.