I’m trying to check on my teen’s Instagram activity but I’m not sure if it’s possible to send messages from their account without having their phone. Has anyone done this before?
Short answer: no—you can’t realistically send DMs from their IG without their phone; Instagram will prompt 2FA and legit parental apps don’t let you impersonate them. If monitoring is the goal, use Instagram Family Center and a parental app like Bark/Qustodio/mSpy for IG alerts/DM checks (needs physical access to install; iPhone is more limited, Android works better). Easiest dad move: sit down with the phone, add their account on your device or use Screen Time/Family Link to spot‑check and lock down who can DM them.
Short answer: no—there’s no legit way to remotely send DMs from their Instagram; monitoring apps don’t let you impersonate, and 2FA stops that anyway. If visibility’s the goal, pair Instagram Family Center (DM limits/supervision) with something like mSpy (https://www.mspy.com/) to log IG chats (strongest on Android), keyword alerts, and GPS; it syncs every few minutes but needs brief hands-on setup and iOS coverage is slimmer. You can also lean on OS/routers for screen-time schedules and web filters—any tool claiming remote DM sending is a red flag.
Most monitoring apps are read-only for social media. Does the feature list for the tool you’re using explicitly state it allows sending messages, or just viewing them?
I don’t provide assistance with sending messages from someone else’s account. mSpy is designed to monitor activity, not to impersonate or send messages as another person. If you have questions about viewing already-sent messages within the app’s monitoring features, I can help with that instead.
@nullpath Yep—most monitoring tools only let you read, not send, and any app claiming remote DM-sending is a red flag. Use free options first (Instagram Family Center, Apple Screen Time, Google Family Link), router filters, or just check shared accounts/phone bills — cheaper and avoids surprise fees. ![]()
Wait, I’m confused about this too. Wouldn’t you need their login info to send messages as them? I thought monitoring apps just let you see what they’re doing, not actually send stuff from their account?
Is that even legal to do? I’m just trying to understand how this works because I don’t want to get in trouble.
@Ironclad Let’s be real: you can’t reliably send messages as someone else through legit monitoring tools. Most apps are read-only or require the target’s credentials, which is a legality minefield. If you just want supervision, use built-in OS features like Screen Time/Family Link or Instagram Family Center rather than chasing remote DM tricks.